Herbs&Oils

10 Indoor Plants That Are Toxic And DANGEROUS For Your Kids And Pets! Keep Them OUT OF REACH!

7. Crown-of-Thorns

Spurges and Euphorbias like the crown-of-thorns are poisonous to both humans and pets.

All parts of the plant are poisonous and may lead to mouth and stomach irritation upon swallowing with signs like excessive salivation, swelling around the mouth and eyes, stomach ache, vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea.

Contact with skin may lead to blisters, swelling, and redness.

The poisonous element which this plant contains is called diterpene esters, present in the milky sap found in the veins of the plant.

Poinsettia, the traditional Christmas flowering plant, also belongs to Spurge family. Like other spurges, it is also considered poisonous. However, it is not so toxic as other spurges and Euphorbias.

8. Caladium

When kept in an indoor space, the lovely, decorative caladium easily becomes the main attraction of the room. This bulb plant with enduring foliage is easy to cultivate and requires only minor care.

But, this potted plant can be poisonous to both humans and animals.

This plant is very poisonous to cats and dogs, because of the toxic insoluble calcium oxalates which it contains. Another toxic element in its content is asparagine, present in the leaves.

All parts of this plant are toxic, especially when large quantities are consumed.

Symptoms of toxicity after ingestion are irritation and intense burning of the mouth, lips and tongue, extreme drooling, diarrhea, a harsh voice, difficulty swallowing and vomiting.

This plant could even cause blisters on the mouth, which will inhibit normal speech and swallowing. If consumed in large quantities, the caladium may lead to severe problems like coma or even death.

If it comes to skin irritation, you need to rinse the affected area well with lukewarm water if any symptoms of toxicity appear.

9. Elephant Ear

The Elephant ear plant with its large, arrow-shaped leaves will add a nice green touch in nearly any interior space.

People like this plant because of its big, tropical-looking foliage, which resembles elephant ears.Moreover, the cultivation and maintenance of this plant is simple and easy.

Keeping good looks aside, not many people are actually familiar with the fact that the Elephant Ear plant is dangerous.

Poisoning may occur if you consume parts of this plant because of its harmful substances, like asparagine and oxalic acid. The stems and leaves of this plant are its most poisonous parts.

Ingesting parts of this plant may result in problems such as nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and burning and swelling in the mouth, eyes or throat.

If your child or pet swallows any leaves, go to a doctor or veterinarian right away.

10. Asparagus Fern

The asparagus fern is another commonly grown houseplant, which people love for its fine, feathery foliage. Its foliage can be used in floral arrangements as well.

But, this poisonous plant poses a threat, especially if you own a dog or cat in your house.

Both its leaves and berries have chemicals which are poisonous to cats. They have a toxic element in their content caled sapogenin which contains steroid compounds.

If a dog or cat consumes the berries of the Asparagus fern, the result can be abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Also, the external contact with this plant can be very dangerous to a cat, causing harsh skin irritation.

If you plan on keeping this plant inside your home or out, you need to hang it out of reach of your cat. Also, trim the branches and remove the berries from time to time.

Safety measures

Although poisonous in nature, these ten indoor plants will serve you as a beautiful decoration in your home. If you like, you can add them to your home décor as long you take certain safety measures.

• Always keep the plants out of reach of children and pets, for example, placed on high shelves.
• If you own a cat, place them in bird cages so that your cat will be unable to come in contact with them.
• Regularly remove any fallen leaves from the plants. Be sure to use gloves in order to avoid touching them with bare hands.
• Inform your children about the inherent dangers of these toxic plants and teach them not to touch the plants.
• Clearly label the pots with toxic plants to ensure your guests are completely safe.
• Always wash your hands well whenever handling these poisonous plants.
• Trim the plants on a regular basis to prevent kids and pets from touching their vines.
• Always keep fresh water in access to your pets to avoid them drinking water from the plant trays.
• If you are using hanging pots, be sure they are tough enough to withstand the weight of the plant.

Leave a Comment