Herbs&Oils

10 Indoor Plants That Are Toxic And DANGEROUS For Your Kids And Pets! Keep Them OUT OF REACH!!

4. Golden Pothos

The golden pothos, better known by the name devil’s ivy, is another houseplant which is dangerous to animals. It has been listed as poisonous to both cats and dogs.Both the leaves and stem of this plant have insoluble calcium oxalates, which upon ingestion can harm your dogs and cats.

These oxalates result in possible lip swelling and tissue irritation, oral cavity, as well as tongue and upper airway swelling when consumed. If the swelling becomes severe, your pets may even face difficulty swallowing or breathing. Other clinical symptoms of toxicity include drooling, pawing at the face, foaming, low appetite as well as vomiting. You need to take proper care to ensure this plant is out of reach so your pets don’t eventually ingest it. Be aware that the Golden Pothos can be also poisonous to children.

5. Arrowhead Plant

This beautiful indoor plant with its long, heart-shaped leaves looks very lovely and is a nice addition to any house décor. Because of its sheer appeal and easy cultivation, people all over the world like to grow this plant in their homes, without even being aware of the fact that it is toxic. Both humans and pets are possible victims to its toxic content. The juice of this plant contains highly poisonous oxalate crystals.

Outer contact with the leaves or the juice may result in swelling, skin irritation, and a burning irritation in your mouth, throat and stomach.When cats and dogs consume the leaves, they may manifest signs like pawing at the mouth, excessive drooling, swelling of the mouth, difficulty swallowing, and possibly vomiting.Since the plant grows very fast and its leaves shed often, you need to remove any fallen leaves right away.

6. Peace Lily

The peace lily, known by the name Mauna Loa plant, is also a delicate and well-known houseplant which is a member of the toxic category. This plant has calcium oxalate crystals in its bundles, which are poisonous to dogs and cats. The calcium oxalate crystals are released upon consuming the leaves, roots or stems and penetrate the pet’s tissue resulting in injury.When your pet consumes the poisonous parts of this plant, it can lead to symptoms like oral pain, pawing at the face, drooling, vomiting and foaming.

Mild to severe swelling of tongue, the lips, upper airway and oral cavity can happen as well. Toxicity by this plant can also result in dehydration and a possibility of renal failure, which represents a serious problem in pets. The peace lily plant is also toxic to humans because of its alkaloid lycorin, found in the stems and bulbs. If a person ingests or comes into contact with the plant, it may lead to swelling of the mouth, lips and tongue, vomiting, nausea, difficulty swallowing and diarrhea.

Continue reading…..

Leave a Comment