Herbs&Oils

10 Indoor Plants That Are Toxic And DANGEROUS For Your Kids And Pets! Keep Them OUT OF REACH!

One will often find houseplants as a regular component of every home decor.

Beautiful indoor plants improve the greenery and visual interest to the home interior, purify the indoor air and may provide health benefits as well.

But this doesn’t mean that any beautiful plant can be used to decorate the home.A lot of indoor plants are very poisonous in nature.

Plants like these can be harmful for small kids and animals, as well as for some older persons.

While certain plants are poisonous when consumed, some may lead to allergic reaction if a person touches the leaves or stem or if their skin comes in contact with the plant’s sap.

Since some potted plants do not come with warning labels on, customers need to do research on their own.

Witt this article we will inform you about several plants that may endanger the more vulnerable persons in your home.

In addition, we present you the top ten indoor plants which are poisonous and harmful.

1. Philodendron

The Philodendron is one of the most well-known houseplants as it is easy to cultivate and requires little care.

But, this plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals called raphites, the poisonous element which makes the Philodendron a potentially hazardous indoor plant.

While these crystals mostly have a very moderate effect on humans, some persons may be highly sensitive to them.

The outer contact with its sap may cause a burning sensation in your skin, swelling of the lips and the tongue, as well as skin irritation.

Calcium oxalate crystals are also poisonous to pets, such as dogs and cats. Upon swallowing, it may result in possible problems such as increased salivation, reduced alertness, swelling of the tongue, convulsions, vomiting, difficulty breathing and swallowing food.

If you keep a Philodendron inside and your pet is manifesting any of these signs, wipe off the affected body part with a wet, cold cloth. Be sure to wipe off any visible sap from the area.

If you plan on keeping a philodendron plant, place it in a high location which is unapproachable to pets or small children. Also, be sure to trim the leaves and tendrils.

2. Dieffenbachia

The dieffenbachia plant, also known by the name dumb cane, is a lovely houseplant with big, vivid leaves which will definitely add beauty to your house interior.

Yet, you need to know that this houseplant may pose a serious threat to children and pets.

The leaves, stalk and roots of this plant are very poisonous in nature. In the cells of this plant are contained calcium oxalate crystals which are very poisonous.

Another toxic element which this plant contains is a protein named asparagine.Both kids and pets are possible victims to this poisonous indoor plant.

In case of ingestion of the leaves, these crystals may lead to a number of problems like oral irritation, intense numbing, localized swelling and excessive drooling.

Rarely, it may even result in difficulty swallowing and breathing.

3. Oleander

Oleander is a lovely flowering shrub which you can cultivate inside your home as well as outside. But, every part of the Oleander is poisonous for humans and animals as well.

This plant contains compounds named glycosides which lead to issues such as irregular heartbeat, sweating, excess salivation, oral irritation, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, shallow breathing, congested mucus membranes, incoordination, and even death due to cardiac arrest.

The milky latex of the Oleander may irritate the skin. Actually, it is advisable to wear gloves when handling the plant for longer periods.

If there are small kids and pets in your home, place this plant on an unreachable place. Also, be sure to carefully remove the prunings and trimmings of the plant.

Do not even ignite them as the smoke produced can be poisonous.The oleander is not advisable for keeping inside if you have a cat.

Continue reading…..

Leave a Comment