People use honey daily to improve the taste of teas, pancakes, smoothies and fruit salads. Consuming honey is excellent for the human health because it increases energy, controls blood sugar levels, fights insomnia, helps to lose weight and improves digestion.
Besides its numerous medicinal properties, honey is terrific as a natural cosmetics product.
Containing potent antibacterial, antiseptic, antioxidant, humectant and anti-inflammatory properties, this super food can improve the health of the skin and hair in various ways.
If you are in search for a cheap and easy solution for dry hair, dandruff, acne, or tanning, unrefined honey is a great natural option for many daily beauty problems.
In this article we present you with the 10 incredible things that honey can do for your hair and skin.
1. Honey Can Fade Your Scars!
Regardless of their any form or size, scars are always unattractive. If you have a scar on a visible spot, then you are surely looking for a way to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Although it is hard to heal scars, with the help of honey you can lighten them and reduce their appearance.
Honey boosts the healing process and tissue regeneration, while reviving the skin cells as well.
All these elements have a mutual effect on fading scars.
1. Combine an equal amount of extra-virgin olive or coconut oil and honey.
2. Apply this mixture over your scarred spot in circular motion for a minute or two.
3. Place a warm washcloth over your affected spot, and leave it like that until it cools.
4. Wipe the spot clean using a cotton ball.
5. Do that two times a day.
2. Honey Is Able To Treat Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an autoimmune illness which affects the cells of the skin. It results with blisters, redness, itching and even lesions.
Honey may not be the cure for this illness, but it still can calm the skin, soothe inflammation and protect the damaged skin areas from getting an infection.
Honey can also aid to relieve dry skin and its patching and peeling away.
A study from 2003 says that the topical use of a mixture made of equal amounts of natural honey, olive oil and beeswax is helpful in the treatment of dermatitis as well as psoriasis vulgaris.
1. Add a teaspoon each of beeswax, honey and olive oil in a microwave-safe container.
2. Warm this mixture in the microwave until the beeswax is melted down.
3. Stir it well and let it cool down.
4. Apply it on your affected spot as a lotion several times per day.
Meanwhile, you need to avoid picking and scratching the lesions.
3. Honey Treats Wounds and Small Cuts
Honey is another remedy for treating wounds and small cuts as it effectively kills germs. Honey draws fluid away from the damaged area to boost the healing process.
It even inhibits the development of microorganisms and lowers the chances of getting an infection.
A study from 2013 mentions that honey is an effective topical solution for acute wounds. Still, honey is not so effective in case of chronic wounds, like infected surgical wounds or skin ulcers.
To treat small cuts and wounds, it is best to use a high-quality Manuka honey.
1. Apply a thick layer of this honey on your affected area.
2. Place a bandage over the spot for two hours.
3. Remove the bandage and clean the wound using a moist cloth.
4. Repeat the procedure as many times you need.